Study Group Questions by Friday’s Class
1. Why did the protests and unrest in Egypt in the mid-1990s and the protest and unrest in 2010-2011 lead to very different outcomes? What was different in the causes, the mediums for communication, and the environment?
2. How have the Egyptian people’s demands been met and/or ignored after the removal of Hosni Mubarak?
3. What mediums of communication seemed to be important for protesters to learn about the January 25 protest? What mediums were important for disseminating information during it?
4. How did modernization and liberalizing the economy affect government power and corruption?
5. Who were the March 9 Movement, Kefaya, and Khaled Said?
Professor Bowman’s Questions
6. Why do you think the Islamists won the majority of the seats in Parliament?
7. Are the people in Tahrir Square the same people as those in Parliament? What institutional and structural factors make far reaching change difficult?