1. Were you surprised by the level of brutality described in “Slavery by Another Name?” Discuss.
2. What was Reconstruction? What time period did it cover? What were its hallmarks?
3. What was Jim Crow? What time period did it cover? What were its hallmarks? What were some of the impetuses for Jim Crow?
4. Why does the third article refer to “performances of whiteness.”?
5. What benefits did so-called “poor whites,” derive from Jim Crow? What kind of social hierarchy can you discover in these readings?
6. What was your reaction to the article on race relations in Little Rock? Were you surprised, pleased, relieved, saddened? Discuss.
7. What was the difference for Blacks in life in Little Rock during Reconstruction vs. during Jim Crow?